Base mile mission.
Some days, we enjoy going out for winter noodles to the coffee shop and back. Other days, we're on a base mile mission in preparation for spring. For the latter, Pearl Izumi's Select Escape Softshell Men's Jacket is one of the best dollar-per-mile options available, as its no-nonsense construction recommends it for one thing: carving a fitness base out of unforgiving, wintery conditions.
The jacket's key feature is its 3-layer softshell membrane, which combines a windproof, water-resistant shield with breathability and thermal insulation. This material is occasionally relieved with panels of pure thermal material, which help regulate the temperature and conditions of your body's microclimate by allowing a bit more breathability than the softshell.
The jacket is meant for use in temperatures in the low 40s and below, so it's cut to accommodate layering, and two zippered pockets provide storage options for additional winter wear. It's finished with a few details that further recommend it for inclement conditions, including a draft flap under the full-length front zipper and reflective details to help keep you visible in low-light, frigid, and damp conditions.
- Base mile ready jacket for harsh winter conditions
- 3-layer softshell construction fights wind and wet
- Fully sealed seams keep water from sneaking in
- Thermal panels provide insulation and breathability
- Internal draft-flap and zipper-garage seal in warmth
- Chest pocket and zippered back pocket stash essentials
- Reflective elements elevate low light visibility