The weather isn't always predictable. We have, against our better judgment, left the house under threatening skies without a proper rain jacket and had a lot of time to think about our decision as we waited for a ride at the gas station shivering and wet. If you fancy riding in these conditions, you can either bring a jacket possibly toting it around taking up precious space and maybe not even use it, or start the ride off with the Gabba 3 jersey and be covered if the skies open up. Pro riders demand this luxury. Even during a race with a teamcar in the caravan, domestiques dropping back to get clothing for the team leaders and variable weather conditions make grabbing jackets a burden. Castelli's Gabba 3 is an update to the wildly successful Gabba jersey that is often imitated, never duplicated.
Castelli crafts the Gabba 3 using soft, 4-way stretch Windstopper X-Lite fabric, a lightweight, breathable membrane is engineered to keep early morning chills at bay while maintaining excellent breathability allowing your sweat to evaporate. Windstopper X-Lite has 1.4 billion pores per square-inch and has the nearly impossible tasks of keeping wind chill out, heat in, and breathe well. The Gabba 3 does all three and does it remarkably well. The jersey receives a water-repellent finish so the surprise rain showers don't leave you saturated. Nano Flex inserts along the underarms add ventilation and breathability to a more sweat generating area keeping you comfortable during the last ronde of a rain soaked, early spring circuit race.
Fit is crucial to function with this jersey and Castelli hasn't faltered here with the Gabba 3. The chest features an abbreviated fit compared to similar offerings from other manufacturers. This will likely make the Gabba 3 feel tight across the chest and appear that the length is from the next size down, but once in the saddle, the fit is perfect for the miles ahead. A taller collar provides extra protection from the elements and keeps our necks warmer, generating happiness. Storm-flap construction with reflective logo on the rear protects our back and rumps from wheel spray and the silicone gripper at the waist prevents the hem from riding up. Full-length YKK Vislon zipper is easy to open and close to regulate temperature and the wind flap keeps the jersey aero. Three rear pockets allow plenty of room for storage and the pockets have laser-cut holes at the bottom for drainage.
Castelli recommends the Gabba 3 in temperatures ranging from 50 to 64 degrees Fahrenheit. Your comfort will ultimately depend on the pace and how you choose to layer.
- Rain or wind resistant jersey replaces jackets
- Form-fitting cut keeps an ideal microclimate
- Pair with Nano Flex arm warmers in the cold
- Water-resistant, windproof fabric ideal for spring and fall
- Rear storm-flap keeps you dry from wheel spray
- Silicone gripper at waist keeps jersey from riding up
- 3 rear pockets offer storage and allow rain to drain
View more Men's Short Sleeve Road Bike Jerseys
- How to Measure:
- For best results, take measurements over your underwear.
- Measure under your arms, around the fullest part of your chest.
- Measure around your natural waistline, keeping the tape a bit loose.
- Measure around the fullest part of your body at the top of your legs.
- Using pants that fit well, measure the crotch seam to the bottom of the leg.