Expedition Perks Loyalty Program Terms and Conditions
Backcountry.com LLC (“Backcountry” or “us”) is proud to offer our customers the Expedition Perks loyalty program (the “Program”), which provides loyalty points and benefits to customers who shop on CompetitiveCyclist.com, Backcountry.com, and Backcountry retail stores. The following Backcountry subsidiaries and divisions do not participate in the Program: MotoSport LLC, Bergfreunde GmbH, and Steep&Cheap.com.
Please read these Program Terms and Conditions (“Program Terms”) carefully. By participating in the Program, you agree to be bound by these Program Terms. If you do not agree to these Program Terms, do not participate in the Program. Your continued use of the Program constitutes acceptance of these Terms.
- Eligibility for Program Membership
- How to Enroll
- Program Tiers
- Tier Benefits
- Birthday Offer
- Earning Loyalty Points and Rewards
- Using Program Rewards
- Customer Service Inquiries and Cancelation
- Program Communications
- Program Restrictions and Termination
- Changes to the Program or Program Terms
- Privacy and Notice of Financial Incentive
- Program Disclaimer
- Legacy Summit Club Members
Eligibility for Program Membership
- Legal residents of the United States who are 18 years of age may join the Program.
- Membership in the Program is free.
- The Program is offered for personal use only. Corporations, groups, associations, commercial customers, or individuals purchasing items for commercial use or resale are not eligible for membership in the Program.
- Program Members may have only one account and the sharing of an account between individuals is prohibited.
- Current employees of Backcountry.com LLC or its affiliated companies may not participate in the Program.
How to Enroll
- To enroll in the Program at a Backcountry retail store through a Store Associate or by calling a Gearhead, provide your full name, a valid email address, and your consent to enter the Program. You will receive an email welcoming you to the Program, including a link you can follow to set your password, select your marketing preferences, and review these Program Terms.
- At your option, at sign-up, you may enter the month and day of your birthday to receive a birthday offer.
- As a Member, you are responsible for ensuring that your information is current and accurate and updating such information as necessary in your account settings. It is also your responsibility to notify us immediately of any suspected unauthorized activity on your account.
- The Expedition Perks Program has three tiers of membership: Trailhead, Switchback, and Summit. Switchback and Summit tier status requires a minimum spend per calendar year. Your tier status aligns to your level of spending on eligible shipped or finalized purchases during one calendar year (January 1-December 31).
All Members are automatically Trailhead Members upon enrollment. A Member will maintain Trailhead tier status unless the Member spends the minimum annual amount required to achieve Switchback or Summit tier status.
Members qualify for Switchback tier status if they spend $200 on eligible shipped or finalized purchases during one calendar year (January 1-December 31). Switchback status is valid for the calendar year in which a Member qualifies and the following full calendar year. After that, annual requalification is required. If a Member does not qualify for Switchback status and does not qualify for Summit status by December 31 of the calendar year following Switchback tier eligibility, the Member will revert to Trailhead status on February 1 of the following calendar year.
Members qualify for Summit tier status if they spend $1000 on eligible shipped or finalized purchases during one calendar year (January 1-December 31). Summit status is valid for the calendar year in which a Member qualifies and the following full calendar year. After that, annual requalification is required. If a Member does not qualify for Summit status and does not qualify for Switchback status by December 31 of the calendar year following Summit tier eligibility, the Member will revert to Trailhead status on February 1 of the following calendar year.
As an example, if you qualify for Switchback status in 2023 and do not spend $200 to requalify for Switchback status in 2024 or $1000 to qualify for Summit status in 2024, you will be downgraded to Trailhead status on February 1, 2025.
- You advance to higher tiers based on U.S. dollars spent on eligible purchases that are shipped or finalized during one calendar year (January 1-December 31), starting from the date of enrollment. Except for the exclusions listed in Section 3(e) below, the purchase of any product sold through Backcountry.com, CompetitiveCyclist.com, at Backcountry retail stores, or from a Backcountry Gearhead through customer service, are eligible purchases that count toward your tier level. Purchases of discounted products count toward your tier level as well.
- Purchases made prior to enrolling in the Program do not count toward your calendar year spend.
- Your tier status aligns to your level of spending on eligible purchases over one calendar year:
- Gift cards, services, charitable donations, as well as taxes, shipping, and other fees associated with any purchase (including eligible purchases) are excluded from the Program and do not count toward your tier level spending total. Total tier spending is calculated on the order subtotal after any discount or rewards are applied. (For instance, if a customer places a $100 order and applies a 15% promo code and uses a $5 reward, the subtotal of $80 for the order would count towards tier eligibility.)
- Any upgrade in tiers as a result of eligible purchases will take effect after the order has fully shipped after the eligible retail purchase has actualized. In some instances, the display of an upgrade in tier may be delayed based on a delay of the transactional data to our loyalty partner. If you achieve a higher tier status based on eligible purchases during one calendar year (January 1-December 31), your tier status will be upgraded. If you return an item resulting in your total calendar year spend dropping below tier eligibility, as applicable, you will not progress to the higher tier level or will be downgraded to a lower tier level immediately. If your eligible purchases qualify you for a new tier level and you do not return a product resulting in your calendar spend dropping below tier eligibility, you will retain your new status for the following calendar year period.
Program Tier Status Dollars Spent Trailhead $0 - $199 Switchback $200 - $999 Summit $1000 or more
- All membership tiers enjoy a variety of benefits (such as Loyalty Points, Rewards, special offers, sweepstakes, one of a kind experiences, exclusive events, and advance access to products) made available by Backcountry in its sole discretion from time to time (“Benefits”). Benefits may vary by tier and some tiers may have more Benefits than others. The timing, type, and availability of any Benefits will be determined by Backcountry in its sole discretion.
- Certain Benefits, including eligibility for bonus Loyalty Points during Limited Promotional Periods, may only be available to a select group of Members at Backcountry’s sole discretion. Other Benefits, including certain products, services or event offers, are available while supplies last and may be subject to change, discontinuance, limitations, and substitutions by Backcountry, at its discretion and at any time without notice.
- Trailhead tier Members will receive 5 base Loyalty Points for every $1 in eligible purchases, as described in 6(c), rounded up or down to the nearest $1 increment.
- Switchback and Summit tier Members will receive 10 base points for every $1 in eligible purchases, as described in 6(c), rounded up or down to the nearest $1 increment.
- All Members are eligible to earn bonus Loyalty Points on purchases of full price Backcountry Gear and Apparel, Stoic, and Basin & Range-branded products.
- Backcountry may offer Switchback and Summit tier Members exclusive offers on products or services, invitations to private events, and other exclusive Benefits, announced periodically via email, on site, or at our retail stores.
- Summit tier Members are eligible for free return shipping via UPS on certain online orders for up to 30 days from the day the item ships. To take advantage of this benefit, go to your order history under your account to process a return. You will be prompted to print a free UPS return label that you can use for returns shipped from the contiguous U.S. that do not require freight shipping. Oversized items that require freight shipping and handling are excluded from this benefit as are retail returns and returns from outside of the contiguous U.S. Our standard Return Policy otherwise applies. If you process your online return beyond the 30-day window, this benefit does not apply and you must pay for shipping.
- Members that meet eligibility criteria identified below will receive a single-use discount coupon based on their current tier level at the time the birthday offer is sent. Birthday offer amounts are set in Backcountry’s sole discretion and are subject to certain product and brand exclusions that will be communicated when the birthday offer is delivered. The birthday offer does not apply to sale items and cannot be combined with other promotional offers.
- To qualify for the annual birthday offer, you must have joined the Program at least twenty-eight days prior to your birthday and submitted the month and day of your birth, either at Program sign-up, on the Program membership page in your online account, or by updating this information with a Gearhead by calling 1-888-276-7130 at least twenty-eight days prior to your birthday.
- Date of birth cannot be modified at a later date in order to qualify for this offer.
- Eligible Members will receive their annual birthday offer via email approximately 14 days in advance of their birthday. Birthday offers are valid from receipt via email to approximately 14 days after the eligible Member’s birthday.
- Members are limited to one birthday offer per calendar year.
- The email communicating the birthday offer may contain additional terms for redemption. g. You may withdraw from receiving the birthday offer by calling a Gearhead at 1-888-276-7130 and requesting to be removed from the birthday offer.
Earning Loyalty Points and Rewards
- Under the Program, Members may earn points on the purchase of full price products (“Loyalty Points”), which will convert into Rewards as described below.
- To earn Loyalty Points on eligible products online, you must either be signed into your account or have entered the email address associated with your account during guest checkout.
- To earn Loyalty Points on eligible products at retail stores, you must provide the email address associated with your account to a Store Associate at checkout. To earn Loyalty Points when placing an order with a Gearhead, you must provide the email address associated with your account prior to providing payment and finalizing the order.
- A product purchased at the original retail price constitutes a full price purchase. Although purchases of discounted products count toward your tier level, as described in Section 3 above, the purchase of a product advertised at any amount less than full price does not earn Loyalty Points, subject to certain Limited Promotional Periods (described below).
- Loyalty Points earned from the purchase of full price products are calculated after all store credits or Expedition Perks rewards are applied, but before taxes, shipping, and other fees are added to the transaction.
- In addition, you may not earn Loyalty Points on the purchase of gift cards, services, charitable contributions, product rentals, or event tickets. You will also not earn Loyalty Points on taxes, shipping, and other fees.
- Loyalty Points have no fixed value, may not be redeemed for cash, and may not be pooled, transferred, gifted, or sold.
- Loyalty Points are calculated based on your tier level at the time of purchase. If a completed order would result in your achieving an elevated tier level after the period described in Section 3(f) above, the Loyalty Points associated with the full order will still accrue at your tier level at the time of purchase.
- During Limited Promotional Periods, you may earn bonus Loyalty Points on certain discounted products, on select products or brands, or by participating in other community engagement activities (i.e., participating in a survey or attending a sponsored event). The Program will announce these Limited Promotional Periods, including the specific ways Members may earn bonus Loyalty Points on site or by emailing eligible Expedition Perks Members. Bonus Point offers during Limited Promotional Periods are subject to change without notice and at any time at the sole discretion of Backcountry.
- Points earned from a transaction will display as Pending Loyalty Points on the Program membership page in your online account after an eligible order has fully shipped or a retail order is actualized. In some instances, the display of Pending Loyalty Points may be delayed based on a delay in transmission of the transactional data to our loyalty partner. Any Pending Loyalty Points earned will become active 30 days after all products in your order have shipped or 30 days after your retail purchase.
- If your payment is declined, Loyalty Points associated with that order will be removed from your account.
- You cannot earn Loyalty Points on orders associated with a billing address outside of the United States.
- You cannot earn more than 25,000 Loyalty Points from any single transaction. To illustrate, for a Switchback or Summit tier Member’s purchase of full price items totaling $3,000, 10 Loyalty Points per $1 spent will be awarded to the account based on $2,500 of the transaction for 25,000 Loyalty Points. The remaining $500 of the purchase does not earn Loyalty Points.
- Each time you accumulate 500 active Loyalty Points, those Loyalty Points are automatically converted to a $5 reward (“Reward”). The 500 Points associated with that $5 Reward are immediately debited from the active Point balance on the Program membership page in your online account.
- Loyalty Points will expire 24 months after activation.
- Loyalty Points are tracked on a first in/first out basis. For example, you accrue 400 Loyalty Points from an order in October 2021 and an additional 300 Loyalty Points from an order in December 2021. The 400 Loyalty Points accrued in October along with 100 of the Loyalty Points accrued in December would be converted into a $5 Reward, leaving the remaining 200 Loyalty Points from the December 2021 order.
- If you return a product, any Loyalty Points accrued from that purchase will be deducted permanently from your account upon acceptance of the product and issuance of a store credit or refund under Backcountry’s Return Policy.
- If the product is not accepted under our Return Policy, no change to Loyalty Points or Rewards would occur.
- Rewards expire 90 days after issuance and must be redeemed during that time. Expired Rewards will not be credited back to your account.
Using Program Rewards
- Rewards may be used toward the purchase of products online or in retail stores.
- There is no limit on the total value of Rewards you can redeem on any single transaction.
- During the online checkout process, you can choose to redeem some or all of your available Rewards by selecting the Reward amount you wish to redeem from the provided drop-down menu. During the retail store checkout process, you can instruct a Store Associate to redeem some or all of your available Rewards, provided that the total Rewards redeemed does not exceed the order subtotal. The Program will debit the oldest $5 Reward(s) from your account first when redeeming rewards toward new purchases. Rewards are single use.
- If you redeem Rewards at checkout, those Rewards will be applied to the order subtotal. Gift cards, services, charitable contributions, packaging, taxes, shipping and any special order handling charges cannot be purchased or paid for with Rewards.
- For purchases facilitated by customer service, inform the Gearhead that you wish to use your Rewards prior to finalizing the order. Rewards cannot be applied to an order retroactively.
- You can apply Rewards in combination with a maximum of one other promotional offer or coupon (such as your birthday offer).
- Rewards are not redeemable for cash.
- Rewards may only be redeemed in increments of $5. If redeeming rewards in excess of the order subtotal online or through an order facilitated by a Gearhead via phone, email, or chat, then any difference between the subtotal and the incremental $5 Reward figure will be forfeited. In retail stores, the Rewards redeemed cannot exceed the order subtotal.
- All returns must be made in accordance with Backcountry’s Return Policy. If you return a product purchased in whole or in part with a Reward, the reward value will not be refunded or credited to you. The refund or store credit amount you receive will be the amount paid after the Reward was applied.
Customer Service Inquiries and Cancelation
- If you believe your Loyalty Points or Rewards were not accurately posted to your Program membership page in your online account, or you have any other questions or complaints, customer support is available by calling 1-888-276-7130, emailing email@example.com, or chatting with a Gearhead at www.backcountry.com.
- You may ask a Gearhead about your current Loyalty Points balance and Rewards, as well as update your Program profile by calling 1-888-276-7130. The Gearhead will ask you to verify your account credentials.
- You may also update your Program profile and view membership status, Loyalty Points and Rewards balances by logging into our website and navigating to your account settings.
- The Program will send transactional emails related to Program membership including but not limited to the following: welcome email, recurrent membership status statements and/or updates; and reminders about upcoming expiration of earned Loyalty Points, Rewards, or other Benefits. To stop receiving these transactional communications, you must cancel your membership.
- By enrolling in the Program, you will also receive marketing communications from Backcountry and its affiliates to the email you provided upon account creation or updated in your account settings. To opt out of receiving promotional emails, you can follow the instructions for unsubscribing in each email.
- During enrollment via your desktop, mobile device, or retail store, you may also opt in to receiving recurring, outbound calls placed by a Gearhead to the phone number associated with the default address in your account settings. These calls may be placed from automated systems. The phone number associated with your default address in account settings is the number you provided upon completing an online order with Backcountry or Competitive Cyclist. You can adjust this number by logging into your online account.
- By completing the opt-in process to receive outbound calls, you confirm that the number associated with your default address is your number and that you have the authority to grant Backcountry the right to call that number.
- Opting in to receiving outbound calls is not a condition of making a purchase or of participating in the Program. Call frequency varies.
- If you change or deactivate your number, you must update the number listed in your account settings to reflect that change or notify Backcountry by calling our toll-free number at 1-888-276-7130.
- Data rates apply.
- You may opt out of receiving promotional calls by letting us know during one of those calls.
- If you change the phone number associated with your default address at checkout, and do not wish to receive calls to that number, you must opt out.
- To obtain customer support, you may send us a text message to the number provided in the Expedition Perks Program page on our sites. Messages responsive to your text may be sent using an automatic telephone dialing system. You may end the text communication at any time by responding to a text with the word STOP. By texting STOP, you will receive one additional message confirming that your request has been processed. Message and data rates apply. By sending a text to the number provided by the Program, you are confirming that the number you utilize is your mobile number and that you have the authority to grant Backcountry the right to send responsive text messages to that number. The Program utilizes SMS only at your request in response to customer service inquiries.
- You may adjust your communications preferences through your online account with Backcountry or Competitive Cyclist.
- You may unsubscribe or adjust your marketing preferences while still remaining in the Program.
Program Restrictions and Termination
- The Program may not be used for re-selling or commercial use. Should Backcountry reasonably suspect that you are using the Program for reselling products or for commercial use, it will terminate your account immediately and without notice.
- Violation of these Program Terms may result in termination from the program.
- If you do not make purchases accruing Loyalty Points or redeem Rewards for 36 consecutive months, your account will be deemed inactive and terminated.
- Rewards may not be gifted, transferred or sold.
- Any Rewards, Benefits or offers may not be applied retroactively to previous transactions.
- In cases of reasonably suspected fraud, misrepresentation, deception, forgery, or other abuses, Backcountry reserves the right to take appropriate administrative and/or legal action, including the termination of your participation in the Program.
- If an account is terminated for any reason, you will no longer be able to access account features and all existing Loyalty Points, Benefits and Rewards will be forfeited.
- Backcountry reserves the right to deny or terminate membership for any reason, and at our discretion.
Changes to the Program or Program Terms
- We may make changes to these Program Terms at any time in our sole discretion without prior notice.
- Backcountry may amend, cancel, suspend, terminate or otherwise change the Program or any of its benefits and features, in whole or in part, at any time for any reason without prior notice. Changes may include, but are not limited to, the number of Loyalty Points you can earn, the type of transactions which qualify for Loyalty Points, the accrual rate of Loyalty Points for qualifying transactions, and the redemption of Rewards or other Benefits, even though changes may affect the value of Loyalty Points or Rewards.
- If we make material changes to these Program Terms or our Program, we will provide notice of such changes on the Expedition Perks page on our sites, or by posting the amended Program Terms to our site and updating the “Last Updated” date above. Unless we say otherwise in our notice, the amended Terms will be effective immediately.
- Your continued access to and use of the Program will confirm your acceptance of the changes to the Program or these Program Terms. If you do not agree to the amended Terms, you must cancel your membership in the Program.
- All interpretations of these Program Terms are at Backcountry’s sole discretion, and Backcountry’s decisions will be final.
- In the event the Program is discontinued or combined with another program, Backcountry we will attempt to notify you in advance within a reasonable timeframe through the email associated with your membership or by posting relevant information on the Expedition Perks page on our sites. Any unused Loyalty Points or other Benefits may not be carried into any new program. You will not be entitled to any compensation for any unused Loyalty Points or Rewards, and any Loyalty Points, Rewards, or Benefits may have a lesser or different value under any future program.
Privacy and Notice of Financial Incentive
- The Program, including the birthday offer, may be considered Financial Incentives under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”). These Program Terms explain the Benefits offered to you under the Program, how to enroll and how to withdraw from the Program, and that you may withdraw at any time. As described in these Program Terms, participation in the Program requires provision of identifiers (name and email), and, if you choose to participate in the birthday offer, provision of a characteristic of protected classifications (birth day and month), and also involves the collection of commercial information (e.g., products purchased and Benefits used). The value of your personal information is reasonably related to the value of the Benefits provided to you in connection with the Program.
- Backcountry Parties make no warranty, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose with respect to the Program or any products or services related to the Program.
Legacy Summit Club Members
- Effective September 15, 2021, the loyalty program for Backcountry and Competitive Cyclist is Expedition Perks. Prior to such date, Backcountry and Competitive Cyclist operated a loyalty program under the name “Summit Club” (hereinafter, the “Legacy Program”).
- Members of the Legacy Program will receive an email including details about the update of the Legacy Program to the Program. Members of the Legacy Program may opt out of participation in the Program by calling 1-888-276-7130 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Any existing credits earned by the member under the Legacy Program will be available for their use until the expiration of those credits according to the Summit Club Terms and Conditions. Specifically, any outstanding credits earned under the Legacy Program between April 1, 2021 and June 30, 2021 will expire on September 30, 2021. Any credits earned under the Legacy Program from July 1, 2021 to September 14, 2021, will be issued in October 2021 and will expire on December 31, 2021.
- As a courtesy, Legacy Program members will be assigned to the Summit tier (see details on tiers in Section 3 above) for a period of twelve months following the Program’s effective date. To retain Summit tier status beyond this initial 12-month period, members who participated in the Legacy Program must satisfy the minimum requirements of that tier under the Program.
- Upon launch of the Program on September 15, 2021, the earning of credits under the Legacy Program will cease.