Little bit; long way.
When a sport involves three separate disciplines and a race can take the better part of 24 hours, a little bit of compression goes a long way. That's why Pearl Izumi upgraded the compressive properties of its Elite Pursuit Tri Shorts, adding more Lycra to the blend in order to ensure that the race fit and confident hold stay effective through multiple seasons of use.
The other key difference is a re-worked leg band, which is about double the width for a more secure hold that requires less pinching and restricting. Despite those changes, a few features carry over, including Pearl's coldblack treatment, which actively cools your body after you've dried off on the bike leg. The chamois is a tri-specific affair, designed to stay out of the way on the swim, dry fast on the bike, and ride lightly on the run.
- Triathlon shorts for newly minted age group competitors
- Increased Lycra content offers more compression
- Wider leg bands maintain fit with less constriction
- Coldblack technology actively cools during hot summer races
- Tri-specific chamois dries quickly and doesn't impede motion
- Drawstring waist cinches down to keep the shorts up
- Rear envelope pocket securely stashes gels for a timely energy boost