It's easy to get caught up in the Europro kerfluffle around disc brakes and heated discussions of their place in the peloton, but one ride on that new disc-equipped steed and you'll understand why discs are the way of the future with powerful modulation that far outpaces even the best rim brakes on the market. Although you're definitely on board with discs, you're not as stoked on the stock wheels your bike arrived with and it's time to add a bit of carbon bling in the shape of Mercury Wheels' M3 Carbon Disc Road Clincher Wheelset.
The M3's 30mm depth strikes an all-purpose balance between straight-line speed and crosswind stability while remaining light enough to satisfy our high-mountain climbing ambitions. At first glance, the 16mm internal width may sounds paltry compared to the ever-more-mammoth current rim width trends, but falls right in line with recommendations for an ideal width to house the 25 and 28mm tires so commonly found within the peloton. That 16mm rim is also compatible with 23mm tires, allowing the traditionalists among us to make the jump to disc without also having to change tire type.
- A disc-equipped carbon wheelset with all-round capabilities
- Carbon fiber rim construction lowers weight and boosts stiffness
- Rim depth balances aerodynamic speed and light weight for climbing
- Durable, machined aluminum hubs roll fast and smooth
- 4-pawl freehub responds quickly to pedal input
- Compatible with 6-bolt disc rotors
- Includes end caps for 12mm and 15mm front thru-axles