Item # THU0364
Thule Apex Bike Rack - 5 Bike $459.95
The new Thule Apex 5-Bike Rack got a complete makeover this year for improved looks and function. Not only does the Apex look better, but the new design makes it easier to load and unload your bikes and improves ground and bumper clearance.
- Improved Hitch-Switch design allows the bike carrier arms to fold down as well as the entire carrier rack to fold down (when not loaded)
- Thule EasyMount system features a Receiver Lock Knob to quickly engage the rack receiver into the hitch, tighten, and lock it with limited effort and no tools
- Thule Road Dampening Technology (RDT) in the bike frame cradles reduces vibrations
- Soft Touch Anti-Sway Cage features soft thermoplastic (TPE) that gently grips the bike frame to prevent swinging
- Reinforced Cradle Straps are 25% stronger to last longer than in the past
- Arched bike arms disperse weight better and make loading/unloading easier than straight designs
- Integrated handle at the back of the mast makes transport, install/removal easy
- Integrated Locking Cable secures the bikes to the rack
- EasyMount system with the Receiver Lock Knob
- Arched bike arms disperse weight better for easy loading/unloading
- Road Dampening Technology
- Soft Touch Anti-Sway Cages
- Reinforced Cradle Straps are now 25% stronger
- Integrated Locking Cable
- Improved Hitch-Switch design
View more Hitch Bike Racks
Reviews & Community
Did not meet my expectations.
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
I purchased this rack to transport 2 cruisers or 2 mtbs depending on what we were riding. The Apex isn't really ideal to transport bikes that do not have a straight top tube frame. I had to invest about $150 in the Thule Frame Adapters before I could transport my bikes on the Apex. The rack is equipped with Anti-Sway Cages that underperform and regardless of how you position your bikes they still swing while your vehicle is in motion. After the first use one of the rubber straps that allow you to fasten your bike to the rack snapped and I had to order the Accessory Strap Kit. Lastly, even at the highest tension the rack still wobbles in the trailer hitch. I expected more from this rack and shopping experience...$500 down the drain.
Used and broken
The item came clearly used and broken. An actual piece of the plastic was broken. It seemed highly unlikely that this happened during shipping since the broken piece was in the middle of the box and there was dirt/dust all over the rack. Totally unexcusable. We had ordered to use this on memorial day weekend and couldn't because Backcountry sent us an obviously used and broken unit. Super disappointed. Makes me hesitant to buy from them again.
I'm a family of 4 with four full size MTN bikes with wide handlebars. My 4 bike Thule rack isn't long enough. Will this reasonably fit 4 mtn bikes?
Hey Scott - Which specific Thule rack do you have now? The T2? The Apex Bike Rack will fit 4 MTB bikes pretty easily although there will be overlap of the bars, pedal, etc. Feel free to contact me directly with any additional questions on this bike rack.
- Kyle L. - Expert Gearhead - email@example.com - 801-736-4337
Great Bike Rack
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
Your basic bike rack with a few enhancements. We really like the arched bike arms that make loading and unloading the bikes easier. We've found it transports four bikes comfortably, I suppose five could work if they were all the same make and model.
Can I open the rear hatch of my car with this rack? loaded or folded?
I need a 5 bike rack hitch mount for a...
I need a 5 bike rack hitch mount for a toyota sienna minivan. What is the difference between the Thule Vertex and Apex bike racks - other than $100?
The Apex is basically an upgraded version of the Vertex. The arms can fold down as well as the rack when it isn't loaded, and it's much easier to install. It also has their road dampening technology which reduces the shake and vibrations that the bikes feel while you're driving. It also has a lock system built into the rack that the Vertex does not.