Simplicity's not a word that we'd typically associate with a power meter, and we definitely never thought we'd use it to describe anything Super Record. But—counting the top line—we've already used it twice to introduce the Stages Cycling Campagnolo Super Record Single Leg Power Meter Crank Arm. The unit's also modular, as swapping it between bikes only requires that you swap the crankset over or just the left crank arm. The result is reliable power measurement incorporating two different technologies—Stages power measuring and the three C's (Campy, carbon, and ceramic) of Italian cycling—that have won all three of the most recent Tours.
Carbon and ceramic bearings aside for now, rest assured that the crank arm the meter's attached to is the same harpoon that Il Squallo used to skewer the competition in 2014. The real story here is with the meter itself, though, and the technology housed within that innocuous little cartridge is responsible for the numbers that Froome and company ride tempo to.
Tucked inside that little pod, strain gauges and an accelerometer measure force and rotations to deliver power data to your head unit with a claimed accuracy of +/-2%, which is in-line with other quality power meters on the market. It also incorporates Stage's Active Temperature Compensation (ATC), which compensates for the natural expansion and contraction of the strain gauges by adjusting the readings depending on external temperature. ATC accounts for those temperature changes without requiring you to stop pedaling in order to zero the system. Overall, the power meter adds less than 20g to the crank, which is a tiny tradeoff for the ability to chart limits, plan training regimes, and monitor efforts on race day.
- Italian racing luxury meets innovative power measuring
- Measures power with an industry-standard +/-2% accuracy
- Active Temperature Compensation accommodates changing conditions
- Internal accelerometer covers cadence with no additional sensors
- Wireless communication keeps use and maintenance simple
- Pairs with Stages Power App for firmware updates and zero resets
- 200+ hour battery life with easily-changeable CR2032 battery
- Stages Cycling brings power data into an affordable price range