The patron saint of speed scrubbing.
The Saint M820 Disc Brakes may be the unsung heroes of the Shimano's pro-proven DH groupset, having enjoyed success on the world stage with Gwin since the prototype stage. In fact, Shimano's initial unveiling of the group was delayed slightly so the Japanese company could continue refining it according to the feedback from elite racers like Gwin, and the result is a shorter Servo Wave arm that modulates better than it's punchier predecessor, feeling more like XTR and allowing for more finesse while tempering speed to ensure you carry precisely as much momentum into techy corners and rock gardens as you want.
The changes between model years include a reshaped brake lever, which is designed to meet the new Saint brakes' goal of single-finger operation, and a bit of texturing helps keep your powerful little digit firmly grounded. The brake caliper itself still rocks four ceramic pistons, which net the same full-halt stopping power as their predecessors that's nevertheless keen to modulate courtesy of the Servo Wave actuation.
Servo Wave gives you more lever travel off the top, allowing the pads to sit farther away from the rotor and reducing rubbing. When you get deeper into the stroke, and the pads engage, Servo Wave acts like a cam, developing an incredible amount of power despite the lever’s even stubbier profile, and is responsible for Saint's unrivaled lock-out capabilities.
For some, the Saint brake's key difference with the less expensive Zee — tool-free lever adjustment — is an unnecessary luxury; however, for everyone from pros like Gwin to aggressive freeriders the world over, the ability to quickly dial stopping power is priceless. The brakes are finished with one-way bleeding for ease of servicing and ship with a reinforced brake hose that resists deforming to keep brake feel consistent throughout the run. The included brake levers are I-Spec B compatible.
- Shimano’s most powerful disc brake for downhill, freeride, and enduro
- Servo Wave increases power and reduces pad rub
- Refined Servo Wave action for better modulation and control
- Reshaped, textured lever for improved single-finger operation
- 4-piston caliper for consistently powerful braking on long descents
- Tool-free lever reach allows quick on-trail adjustments
- One-way bleeding for ease of servicing and clean bleeds
- Reinforced hose resists deforming for consistent feel throughout ride