Item # SLL000O
Selle SMP Drakon 70th Anniversary Limited Edition Saddle $299.00
For the rouleurs.
If Selle SMP's lightweight, minimalist saddles are designed for the tiny climbers, the Drakon is its rouleur model. The wide-bodied Drakon Saddle is part of SMP's 70th Anniversary Edition collection, which adds a few celebratory embellishments to the already impressive SMP aesthetics. These include SMP's usual tricolor treatment—albeit a bit more stylized—a hand-painted base plate, and details embroidered with a special edition, softer yarn.
New looks aside, the 70th Anniversary Drakon is functionally the same as the standard model. It's the widest of the Anniversary saddles, so it's ideally suited to wide hips—SMP summarizes the size recommendation as bib shorts sizes medium through X-large. It's also got a standard amount of padding, which is notable considering that many of SMP's saddles eschew padding altogether in pursuit of lightweight racing stats.
As with its skinnier stablemates, the Drakon features a drop beak-shaped nose to relieve pressure on soft tissue regions. This design also means that when you ride, it's easier to roll forward and keep a flat back. The tail kicks up to encourage that hip rotation, and the length of the saddle is bifurcated by a generous cutout, which adds yet more pressure relief to the most important point of bike/cyclist contact.
- A cycling saddle that looks funny but rides comfortably
- The widest race saddle in Selle SMP's line
- Features commemorative aesthetic embellishments
- Dropped nose and central channel alleviate pressure
- Raised tail coaches hips into efficient pedaling position
- Standard padding balances cushion with weight
- Steel rails and composite body ensure longevity