Item # SNZ00DA
Find your size
Note: Actual inseam is not the same as pant inseam.How to measure
Santa Cruz Bicycles 5010 2.1 Carbon S Complete Mountain Bike - 2018 $4,799.00
Nimble trail companion.
Bringing a playful persona to every trail ride, the Santa Cruz 5010 2.1 Carbon S Complete Mountain Bike emphasizes nimble handling and responsiveness for epic rides across alpine terrain and hot laps around the local forest loop. The 5010's nimble leanings originally drew inspiration from the legendary Blur TR, making it inherently more playful than anything in Santa Cruz's line. This particular version boasts Santa Cruz's Carbon C frame, which offers greater stiffness and strength over aluminum frames for unbelievable power transfer and impressive durability.
Now that bikes have grown slacker, longer, and lower, it only makes sense the second generation 5010 has adapted to reflect changes in modern trail geometry. The second generation 5010 has a longer reach and wheelbase in conjunction with a slacker head tube angle of 67 degrees and slammed chainstays of only 16.7in. By making the front end longer, Santa Cruz gave the 5010 a much roomier cockpit without needing a longer stem for riders on the upper end of the sizing range.
These changes in geometry retain the original bike's agile handling on the trail, yet they instill a bit more confidence when you're dropping into steep descents and holding your line through rough terrain such as rock gardens and roots. By chopping the chainstays to below 17in, Santa Cruz equipped the 5010 to navigate tight switchbacks and lean into corners with flickable precision, hinting to its Blur roots as a slalom-inspired trail whip.
Looking at the VPP suspension, you'll be pleased to note it carries the 2017 redesign for improved suspension performance, increased durability, and better stand-over clearance. The lower linkage is neatly tucked above the bottom bracket, which protects it from damaging rock strikes and flinging debris kicked up from loose chunder. The upper linkage is now attached to the top tube for increased stiffness as well as greater stand-over clearance, which is especially helpful if you're a shorter rider on a size small.
Compared to the previous 5010, this model gets the slightest increase in travel, bumping up from 125 to 130mm. However, the bigger story with the second generation 5010 is the improved suspension performance, which provides better sensitivity to small bumps, such as tiny rocks and roots. The mid-stroke is more supportive as well, with it being more linear for greater consistency without the tendency to settle in the middle of its stroke like previous generations of VPP. However, you'll find it's still quite progressive at the end of its stroke, ramping up aggressively to prevent you from harshly bottoming out.
The S build kit features SRAM's newest GX Eagle drivetrain, which provides a massive 500% gear range without dealing with a pesky front derailleur. If you're coming from a double set-up, you'll find the gigantic 50t cog provides plenty of low-end for powering up the steepest climbs. Other notable features of this build include a Fox 34 Float fork with 34mm stanchions for stiff, precise tracking when you're rallying over rough terrain.
- Santa Cruz's quintessential trail bike with nimble handling
- Carbon C frame is much stiffer and lighter than aluminum
- 5.1in of VPP suspension for a responsive pedaling platform
- 67-degree head tube balances stability with steering response
- Longer reach keeps you comfortable and confident on descents
- Short chainstays and low bottom bracket for cornering prowess
- SRAM GX Eagle 1x12 drivetrain offers a 500% gear range
- Fox 34 Float fork with 130mm of smooth travel
More 5010 builds
View more All-Mountain & Trail
Effective Top Tube
Head Tube Angle
Seat Tube Angle
Bottom Bracket Height
Reviews & Community
5010 Be Nimble, 5010 Be Quick!
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
I'm 5'11" and 175lbs. I rode a large and it was spot on for sizing. I rode on mostly flow trails with some chunky bits and jumps.
What I liked about the bike:
- I had a Santa Cruz Blur LT (v2) back in the day that I absolutely loved and the 5010 2.0 reminds me of an upgraded & new version of it. This brings back nostalgic, awesome memories on a similar handling bike.
- I'm a fan of the geometry of this bike; its fast and snappy, but I wouldn't be nervous taking it on more technical descents either. Its slack enough with the 67 degree headtube angle and its 5" of travel can get you through most rowdy stuff. I'd also be pretty happy pulling a full day ride in - this is like the Bronson's little brother that can also pack a punch.
- Pedal all day on this bad boy. Its pretty much the only thing it won't be able to do for you! The VPP3 suspension is efficient and I left the rear shock open when pedaling.
-Components are a great bang for your buck. Raceface Aeffect R with Novatec hubs with Maxxis rubber, GX Eagle drivetrain, solid Fox suspension, and Guide R brakes. Can't ask for anything that performs better than that.
What I didn't like about this bike:
- Not much that I didn't like. My riding style might get myself into some more technical terrain regularly, so might throw on a 140mm fork, but other than that there isn't much to change.
If you spend most days rippin' singletrack and are about pedaling (as opposed to shuttle days, etc) and like an aggressive, nimble bike, look no further. Overall just a fun trail bike! Let me know if you have any questions or would like help doing a custom build, reach me at 801.204.4547 or firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll get you dialed!