In Race Face's line of beat-'em-up mountain bike wheels, the Aeffect-R 27.5in Wheelset is the most all-mountain-y. It's not as light as the minimalist Aeffect SL, and it's not as lumberingly brutish as the Aeffect Plus. Instead, its 30mm internal width provides the ideal platform for the current crop of mid-sized tires, letting 2.4-2.5in rubber fill out with greater air volume. This in turn enhances traction on lumpy climbs and adds a bit of cushion on lumpier descents.
While its rim width sets it apart, its 9.2-degree freehub engagement reunites it with the rest of the Aeffect line. That engagement isn't as low as Race Face's Vault hubs—which enjoy a comical three degrees of free play—but it's still plenty sharp for the needs of all but the most accomplished enduro fiends. And speaking of fiends, the wider rim and uniform spoke length throughout the wheelset makes the Aeffect-R into a nigh-invulnerable demon in rock gardens and root lattices, with the "R" no doubt standing for "Raging."
- An all-mountain wheelset that ignores abuse
- Aluminum rims don't need to be babied like carbon
- Generous rim width accommodates mid-sized tires
- Includes extra spokes for those days when the trail wins
- Race Face's own workhorse hubs engage with enough pop for all but the most hardened enduro veterans