James B.wrote a review of Giro Republic LX Shoes on September 7, 2017
Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
Good: lovely touring and commuting shoe. Looks great. Walks reasonably well. treads just high enough to protect floor from 2 bolt SPD cleat. Reflective material reflects brilliantly and should improve night time visibility significantly (blinding white light when illuminated in the dark). They are light weight and pretty stiff for efficient pedaling.
1. Water resistance is middling. These shoes can and will get quite wet if it pours and they won't dry out quickly.
2. Hotter than many other choices on a hot day. These were designed for full year all conditions use. They aren't all that well ventilated. No underside ducts.
3. Fit is tight. Ignore what your size is supposed to be and round up at least half a size if not a full size. They are also a bit narrow in the toe box.
4. Reflective material is a bit prone to collecting stains that aren't easy to remove.
5. Cleat track seems unable to hold my left cleat in position even when torqued to spec. The cleat bites into the soft material that comprises the underside of the shoe. Good because the cleat squashes into place easily enough. Unfortunately that material is a bit squishy so the cleat can slide when pedaling force is applied. I have not had this problem on a 2 bolt shoe before and don't know yet if it will resolve or not. This is the most damning problem with the shoes and might drop the rating to 3 stars.
Judged by street shoe standards, this is the handsomest all purpose cycling shoe I have ever seen. It has some great features. Pay attention to cleat mount.
I recommend that anyone who plans on customizing their cleat setup with shims etc, skip this shoe and find one with more mounting space that can accept cleats more securely.
On looks and overall build quality alone, they shoes are a 5.