Virtually no cyclist is one-dimensional enough to fall into a single category. Commuter, weekend rambler, long-ranging tourer, crit masher — we tend to cycle through disciplines like a chameleon cycles through shades of green. Given this tendency to wear different hats, POC is expanding its line of cycling kit so we can match those hats with use-appropriate shorts. The Fondo Women's Short Tights are a nod to the rides where we're counting road-side cafes, not intervals, and the most competitive part of the day is a toss-up between the state line sprint and the hustle to the coffee shop counter. After all, not every ride is race day, and sometimes a slower pace just provides a better opportunity to appreciate the joy of pedaling a bicycle.
The shorts are made with a synthetic blend that's based on polyamide (nylon) instead of polyester and features a lower percentage of elastane than POC's racing kit. The trade-off is less stretch, so the Fondo isn't as painted-on as aerodynamic racing shorts, but more durability, so it holds up better under the abuse of long days in the saddle. The Fondo's four-panel design allows POC to map the body's contours without constriction, and the high, stretchy waist and partial silicone leg grippers keep the women-specific shape in place.
The included Fondo WO chamois is built with the same silicone VPDS inserts found in POC's Aerofoil racing bibs, but the padding is shaped for long-mile comfort while in a more upright posture. This is yet another indication that the Fondo Short Tights are for sportives, base miles, and the like, rather than a frenetic hour spent in the drops while rocketing through 90-degree corners in a downtown crit circuit. The Fondo WO chamois still benefits from the same strategic support, vibration reduction, and airflow channels, just with a less-aggressive posture in mind.
- Cycling shorts for the days you just want to spin
- High nylon content provides supportive hold
- Women's specific fit eschews bibs for a high waistband
- Silicone details inside of leg cuff preserve fit
- Chamois designed for upright, relaxed riding posture
View more Women's Shorts
- This size table should be considered as a guide when choosing the right size of your POC gear.
- Measure underneath your arms around the fullest part of your chest.
- Measure around your natural waistline, keeping the tape a bit loose.
- Standing with your feet together, measure around the widest part of your thighs.
Reviews & Community
Not that great - and definitely not navy
- Familiarity: I returned this product before using it
- Fit: True to size
I'm 5'7 and 132lb and bought a small based on reviews from other sites. I thought they were snug but could have worked. The reason I wanted them was they appear navy online. They are not navy IRL - they are black - and shiny. The chamois is very thin in the front - more like a tri short. I was not impressed for the price so am not keeping them.