Base mile mission.
Some days, we enjoy going out for winter noodles to the coffee shop and back. Other days, we're on a base mile mission in preparation for spring. For the latter, Pearl Izumi's Select Escape Softshell Men's Jacket is one of the best dollar-per-mile options available, as its no-nonsense construction recommends it for one thing: carving a fitness base out of unforgiving, wintery conditions.
The jacket's key feature is its 3-layer softshell membrane, which combines a windproof, water-resistant shield with breathability and thermal insulation. This material is occasionally relieved with panels of pure thermal material, which help regulate the temperature and conditions of your body's microclimate by allowing a bit more breathability than the softshell.
The jacket is meant for use in temperatures in the low 40s and below, so it's cut to accommodate layering, and two zippered pockets provide storage options for additional winter wear. It's finished with a few details that further recommend it for inclement conditions, including a draft flap under the full-length front zipper and reflective details to help keep you visible in low-light, frigid, and damp conditions.
- A no-nonsense winter cycling jacket
- Softshell membrane is windproof and water-resistant
- Thermal inserts help maintain breathability
- Pearl's semi-form fit allows for thermal layering
- Zippered pockets protect and secure ride essentials
- Reflective elements help boost visibility in low-light conditions