Classic for Germany, new for the states.
Ortlieb's been innovating bike-specific storage since cycling became popular in Germany, and while it says Classic in the title, the Back-Roller Classic Panniers are anything but classic for us bike touring cyclists across the pond. Their most unique feature is the QL2.1 system that lets you mount and release each pannier with a simple pull of a handle. Each pannier automatically locks onto the rack the moment you mount it; it's compatible with 16mm racks, but Ortlieb includes hook inserts to fit 8, 10, and 12mm racks as well. The QL2.1 system also features a semi-elliptical hook at the bottom that you can adjust and rotate to fit your rack so the pannier doesn't bounce as much as regular panniers.
Ortlieb made the rest of the Back-Roller Classic Pannier out of material that's complementary to the QL2.1 system. Ortlieb's rugged PD260, PS490, and IP64 fabrics shed water spray and rocky debris most commonly found on cross-country tours. The roll-top closure blocks all the dust when you're riding in the desert, and then prevents raindrops from seeping through when you're searching for shelter in forested, mountainous environments. Ortlieb also added 3M Scotchlite reflectors to further enhance the visibility needed to ride in low light.
- Classic panniers with not-so-classic features for bike touring
- Roll-top and treated fabrics shed water spray and block dust
- QL2.1 system eases mounting and releasing off of most racks
- Adjustable, rotating bottom hook reduces abrasion and scratching
- Adjustable shoulder strap with padding can fix to hook
- 3M Scotchlite reflectors on both side for extra visibility