The Mercury S5 Road Wheels are designed for all-around performance, featuring a 50mm rim depth that boosts aerodynamics without sacrificing versatility. The refined carbon construction yields a stiff rim with responsive steering, with a bit of added compliance for rough roads. Tubeless compatibility allows you to run slightly lower pressures for improved comfort and grip, as well as increased puncture resistance.
The S5's construction uses Mercury's Dual Carbon Layer Process, or DLP. DLP blends high and mid-moduli carbon fibers to offer the best balance between the lightweight and stiffness of the former and the fatigue-resistance and durability of the latter. DLP also involves the incorporation of basalt fibers in the brake track to reduce heat build-up and increase stopping power. This increased stopping power goes a long way toward addressing the poor braking that is one of the most common critiques of carbon wheels.
The aerodynamic benefits of a deep dish rim are further complemented by Mercury's Seamless Transition Technology (STT), which integrates the brake strip with the rest of the rim in order to eliminate any obstructions to wind flow and reduce drag-causing turbulence.
The S5s are finished off with Sapim's reliable Race spokes and Mercury's own hubs. The rear hub includes a generous six pawls for snappy engagement, and the front hub has an extra-wide 70 millimeter flange for reduced flex under hard efforts and confident stability at speed. Both hubs have an oversized axle and oversize sealed bearings that work together to ensure stiffness and long-term durability.
- Carbon fiber road wheels designed for all-around performance
- Carbon layup finds the ideal balance of stiffness and compliance
- 50mm rim depth offers aero gains without giving up versatility
- Reliable Mercury sealed bearing hub with snappy engagement
- Tubeless compatibility for increased grip and comfort
- Hand-built in Utah by Mercury's expert wheel builders
- Includes rim strips, valve extenders, cassette spacer
- Rim brake only, quick-release skewers included