Minion DHF Wide Trail 3C/EXO/TR Tire
Unless you recently returned from a vacation to Mars, you've noticed the "wider is better" trend taking over the mountain bike world. Maxxis is getting in on the game with its new Minion DHF Wide Trail 3C/EXO/TR 27.5in Tire, which features a tweaked tread pattern that's designed to offer better grip when mounted on wider rims by keeping the shoulders where they're supposed to be: on the shoulders.
By changing (slightly) the location and orientation of the knobs, Maxxis was able to direct cornering force straight into the edge knobs at smaller lean angles, so you get the killer grip of the classic Minion without having to lay your wide-rimmed ride all the way down and risk washing out — a distinct possibility with traditional tires mounted on wide rims.
The tread isn't the only part of the Minion WT designed to improve traction. It's tubeless ready, so you can run it at lower pressures to improve grip, and comes in both 3C Maxx Grip and 3C Maxx Terra editions, the former of which is harder and more trail-friendly than the softer, DH-crushing latter.
Both tires feature Maxxis' EXO casing, which is pliable but made to take a rocky beating, so you don't end up with sliced rubbers after shredding the pointy rocks and sharp-edged drops of trails like Moab's Porcupine Rim. Also of note is the DHF's comfort on soggy trails, which is in contrast to the DHR's jones for hardpack, loose dirt, and dry trails.
- Maxxis' iconic front tire for aggressive terrain
- Large side blocks for cornering stability
- Ramped tread design minimizes rolling resistance
- Wide trail casing optimized for 30 - 35mm rims
- MaxxGrip offers softer rebound and maximum grip
- MaxxTerra balances grip with rolling speed & wear life
- Lighter EXO casing offers sidewall protection
- EXO+ offers bead to bead protection for better puncture resistance