Engineered for trail excellence.
Occupying the middle ground in Mavic's line between the cost-conscious XA trail hoops and crème de la crème XA Pro Carbon Wheelset, the XA Pro 29in Wheelset offers significant weight savings and a stiffer lateral build than its cheaper XA sibling, but without draining your bank account on the fancier XA Carbon Pro Wheels. In fact, you'll find the XA Pro 29in Wheelset tips the scales at only 1690 grams, which is pretty damn light for wheels made of Maxtal alloy. In comparison, the cheaper XA 29in Wheelset weighs significantly more at 1900 grams and the pricier XA Pro Carbon Wheelset weighs a scant 1590 grams, albeit with a much steeper price tag.
Mavic achieves this significant weight reduction from their ISM 4D (Inter Spoke Milling) machining process, which reduces the rim wall's thickness between each spoke for lower rotational inertia. You'd think this would sacrifice strength, but it remains robust enough for everyday trail thrashings, as the rim's thicker where the spoke connects to the rim—the area receiving most of the incoming energy from airborne landings and rocky obstacles. And speaking of the spokes, you'll find 24 straight-pull, bladed Zicral spokes at the front and rear for the lateral stiffness to accelerate swiftly from corners and hold its course through rocky terrain.
As you'd expect from a trail wheelset of this pedigree, its UST Tubeless rim design allows you to run your favorite tubeless tires straight from the box without deforming them into an overly bulbous or squared-off shape. The XA Pro's 25-millimeter internal width is ideal for your everyday trail tire in the neighborhood of 2.3 inches (give or take a few tenths of an inch), so you'll have an optimal blend of all-out grip and rolling speed. Another key feature is Mavic's ITS-4 freehub body with four pawls (two by two working in unison) for quick engagement when you're getting up and over trail obstacles standing in your way.
- Stiffness, strength, and low rotational weight for trail riders
- Maxtal alloy for strength-to-weight without the cost of carbon
- ISM 4D machining thins rim wall between spokes for less weight
- UST rim with 25mm width supports 2.2 to 2.3in tubeless tires
- ITS-4 freehub with 4-pawls for quicker engagement on the trail
- 24 Bladed Zicral spokes for lateral stiffness and low weight
- Converts to run 9 x 100mm QR front (Mavic adapter required)
- Converts to 10 x 135mm QR rear (Shimano/SRAM only, adapter needed)