All over again.
If the above image inspires a bit of déjà vu, that's because the Optimum Men's Bib Shorts are the successors to Louis Garneau's popular entry level bibs, the Signature Optimum. The Optimum drops "Signature" and adds a new panel composition; an updated, bevel-edged chamois; and a few functional details that improve fit and in-saddle convenience.
Of these, our favorites are the open-backed bibs—which increase ventilation and widen the overall footprint of the support—and the inclusion of a gel pocket just above the thigh band. Admittedly, we rarely use the latter for actually carrying gels outside of TT situations (hello, jersey pockets), but it makes a nice receptacle for spent gel packages, sparing your phone, spare tube, and CO2 cartridge a sticky situation.
- Entry level bibs for the new cyclist or the weekend warrior
- Updated paneling provides a more ergonomic fit in-saddle
- Beveled-edge chamois eliminates irritating transitional ridges
- Wide, compressive cuff holds securely without pinching
- Thigh pocket holds ride fuel or spent gel packets
- Open-backed design provides support while ventilating
- Reflective details help keep you visible while sneaking in a pre-work spin