If road cycling is the epitome of long-held traditions and narrowly defined style, then gravel is its antithesis, eschewing mainstream mannerisms to push the edges of unique and utilitarian design. As such, it isn't surprising that Lauf has adapted its eye-catchingly unparalleled leafspring suspension design to the gravel with its Grit Suspension Fork.
Gram-counting racers will likely shy away from this fork in preference for lightweight, rigid speed, but for those us looking for a boost of cushioned comfort without the added maintenance and hassle of a traditional suspension fork, the Grit is just what we've been waiting for. Not to mention that a Grit-equipped bike is guaranteed to stand out from the crowd and be a conversation piece on any ride.
With 30mm of travel provided by rows of S2 glassfiber springs slotted into a carbon fiber body, the Grit is designed to soak up the rattly bumps of spottily maintained roads miles away from civilization. Lauf claims that the travel is progressive, meaning it gets stiffer as it compresses to prevent bottom outs while still smoothing out the smaller bumps along the way. The leafspring design does pride simplicity and freedom from maintenance over adjustability, which means the overall feel of the travel will vary across riders with ride stiffness highly dependent on rider weight.
- A unique gravel fork with leafspring suspension
- S2 glassfiber springs provide 30mm of progressive travel
- Carbon fiber construction balances light weight and strength
- Integrated bumpers protect from bottom-outs
- Simple, maintenance-free design functions consistently in all weather
- Minimum rotor size of 160mm
- Compatible with tires sizes up to 700c x 42mm or 27.5 x 2.1in
- Recommended rider weight limit of 242lbs