101 Trail S 27.5in Boost Wheelset
Whether you're building up a new steed, upgrading your trusty bike, or you taco'd your hoop getting a little too wild, chances are you want a wheel that's true, reliable, snappy, and doesn't send you into a vegetative state when you look at the price tag. We know — we feel the same way. Industry Nine has long made some of the snappiest hoops we can get our hands on, and the new 101 Trail 27.5in Boost Wheelset makes a strong argument for itself when you want to balance durability, reliability, precision, and price. These wheels run with the same Trail S hoops you'll find laced up to the Hydra model, but with a different hub that cuts price down a few big bills. Internally it bares some similarities to the Hydra and its predecessor, the Torch, but is ever so slightly less snappy, with 4-degrees of engagement, which still blows much of the competition out of the water.
The 101 hub utilizes a 45-tooth spline, and six phased pawls that engage two at a time, making for 90 engagement points as you spin. We won't try to convince you that the 101 will feel as snappy as the Hydra, it measures in at 4-degrees of engagement as opposed to the 0.52 that the Hydra packs, but it does fallow closely to the ever-coveted Torch which was long revered as one of the snappiest wheelsets on the market — that is until I9's engineers had to go and out-do themselves. What this means is that power is nearly instantaneous when you hammer on the pedals, leaving little energy wasted, and a responsive feel through the ride. When it comes to tackling the mountain we don't think everyone should have to break the bank, and the designers at I9 don't think so either, which is why this particular model laces up the classic Trail S rims to the 101 hub using the more economical J-bend steel spokes, which is where this wheelset gets its "S" designation. The Trail rims used are the same you'll find in the higher-end builds, with lightweight construction, and a moderate 27-millimeter internal width that accommodates 2.2-to-2.5-inch tires, finding the balance between reduced rolling resistance and plush control in corners.
- Take to the trails with I9's snappy wheels that don't break the bank
- 101 hub is modeled off of Hydra, but more economical to fit your budget
- 90 points of engagement on a 45-tooth spline for snappy engagement
- Hubs engage in just 4-degrees, so you don't have to waste power
- Moderate width rims reduce rolling resistance for speed
- Premium alloy rim and hub construction outlasts time itself
- 28 J-bend spokes balance trail and all mountain power
- 27mm internal width accommodates 2.2-to-2.5in tires
- Machined for precision in Asheville, North Carolina