S28 29in Logo Carbon Boost Wheelset
When Ibis set out to improve upon their previous wheels, one of the main goals was to make them even lighter and stronger, which was no easy task. To achieve this Ibis knew they had to reduce the height of their beadwalls in order to make them less likely to bend and break. Stan's NoTubes already uses this technology in their existing rims, so Ibis collaborated with them to use their patented Bead Socket Technology (BST), which not only reduces the beadwall heights for improved vertical compliance and ride quality, but also makes it easier to mount tires and provides a more secure tubeless setup.
Additionally, the S28 rims are drilled asymmetrically, which improves the bracing angle of the spokes and allows both sides of the wheel have nearly equal spoke tension, resulting in a stronger and more durable wheelset. Ibis also changed up their carbon construction, using a material they call Toughened Hybrid Carbon. The name comes from the toughened resin formula they use in the beadwall, which allows it to flex and better shrug off impacts. Considering that many carbon rim failures happen during single-sided impacts with the beadwall, we're glad to see Ibis take note and beef up their rims in this area.
The S28 wheels are available in two different configurations. This particular version is laced up with Ibis' own Logo hubs. While their I9 wheels are built with the best components money can buy, this Logo wheelset delivers an almost identical ride feel at a similar weight for hundreds of dollars less. The Ibis hubs are built to be tough, and feature high quality Enduro sealed bearings for longevity. They're laced to the rim using Sapim's strongest and lightest double-butted J-bend spoke, which means it's easy to find a replacement at any local bike shop if you break a spoke and are in a pinch to find one. The wheels are backed by a seven year warranty for peace of mind, as well as a low cost accident replacement program if something downright awful happens to your bike.
- Ibis' newest carbon wheels are lighter and stronger than before
- Designed to provide enduro-worthy strength at trail weights
- Stan's BST technology improves ride quality and impact resistance
- Asymmetric rim allows equal spoke tension for greater durability
- Toughened Hybrid Carbon makes the beadwall more resistant to impacts
- 28mm internal width gives optimal support to 2.0 - 2.6in tires
- Ibis Logo hubs are reliable and help keep the cost down
- No proprietary parts means it's easy to find replacements in a pinch