Item # GIO008P
Giordana FR-C Pro Astana Team Bib Short - Men's $229.95
By the seat.
Since he's arguably Kazakhstan's greatest cyclist and was both a star rider and the current GM of Team Astana, it's hard not to associate the team with Vinokourov. The man's riding style was dynamic, to say the least, and his spontaneous attacks and willingness to risk losing a race by not holding anything back won him a lot of fans. Vino rode by the seat of his pants, and the ups and downs of his career mean that the Giordana Men's FR-C Pro Astana Team Bib Shorts are some big pants to fill.
For 2017, Astana has tweaked their kit to incorporate elements of the contemporary and the traditional. With the exception of the left leg cuff, Astana's 2017 bib shorts are pure tradition: a solid black field with sponsor branding distributed tastefully throughout. Tasteful is the key word here, as the shorts allot the proper amount of negative space to offset the sponsor call-outs. This lets the black shorts serve as a stark contrast to the brightly colored Astana jersey—a design choice that we've been missing ever since it virtually disappeared in the late '90s.
Despite the obvious branding differences, the Astana Team Bibs are basically the same as the FormaRed Carbon (FR-C) model with one key difference: they're made to be printed on. Printing on for high-end materials is typically hard to impossible, but Giordana earned a reputation as one of the best cycling clothing companies in the world because it views "hard to impossible" as a challenge, not a limitation. Like Vino himself in countless suicide attacks, Giordana rose to the challenge, and the FR-C Pro bibs were born.
- Ride by the seat of your pants with Giordana's pro-tier bib shorts
- Paneling curves to map your body in the saddle
- Cirro OmniForm chamois is the same insert trusted by Astana
- Construction reduces folding, puckering, and wind-catching ridges
- Gently compressive Lycra supports muscles over hours-long rides
- Support and abrasion resistance in waistband and seat panel
- Lightweight bib straps nevertheless add support to upper body
- Giordana's shorts and jerseys are made in the brand's own Italian factory
View more Men's Bib Shorts
25 - 28in
(63.5 - 71cm)
28 - 32in
(71 - 81cm)
32 - 36in
(81 - 91cm)
36 - 40in
(91 - 101.5cm)
40 - 44in
(101.5 - 112cm)
37 - 38in
(94 - 96.5cm)
38 - 39in
(96.5 - 99cm)
40 - 42in
(101.5 - 106.5cm)
43 - 44in
(109 - 112cm)
45 - 46in
(114 - 117cm)
- How to Measure:
- For best results, take measurements over your underwear.
- Measure under your arms, around the fullest part of your chest.
- Measure around your natural waistline, keeping the tape a bit loose.
Reviews & Community
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
- Fit: Runs small
Just as described in the product review, the FR-C Pro is a huge advancement of the FR line, which I have used for several years now. I always felt the perfect bib would be a combination of both the upper body of my FR and the lower body of my Assos Equipe.
Not any longer!
Compared to the Assos, the straps are far more comfortable and where the upper body meets the lower, I feel more secure with their firmness. Although the grippers feel more secure with the Assos, that's only because there is no cuff of cloth, which is prevalent on most bibs today.
The FR-C Pro shorts disappear, regardless of time on the bike, which usually averages 3-hours. By contrast to the regular Forma Red, the lycra is softer and the cuffs don't bind. In a word, they are the most comfortable shorts I have worn. And as an inducement to buy the FR-C Pro, it is priced a shade lower.