Why We Like the 38 Float 29 Grip 2 Factory Boost Fork
Driven by the needs of the world's hardest-hitting enduro athletes, the Fox 38 Float Factory boasts the stiffest chassis and smoothest travel we'll likely ever find in a single-crown fork. Offered in 160 - 180mm travel options, the 38 Float replaces the 36 as Fox's flagship enduro fork, with the 36 being relegated to aggressive trail bike duty with a maximum travel option of 160mm.
Along with its oversize 38mm stanchions, the fork features a unique elliptical-shaped steerer tube along with a beefed-up crown and arch. These design elements work together to minimize flex in the fork's chassis when we're barreling down fast straightaways and plowing through rocks and roots. Simply put, the fork holds its line better and provides a boost of confidence when the trail gets seriously rough. The 38 also uses a new floating axle design that compensates for imperfections in hub tolerance, ensuring each side of the lowers is perfectly aligned to minimize binding and friction as the fork moves through its travel.
Aside from the chassis updates the Fox 38 comes with a host of other useful new features. Special lower leg channels increase air volume while actively distributing oil to the seals and bushings to keep things running smoothly. Bleed buttons on these channels are there to release unwanted air build-up, and also to compensate for changes in pressure caused by drastic elevation changes. The damper also gets an update, with Variable Valve Control being added to the high-speed compression circuit (previous models had VVC in the rebound circuit only). This allows the damper to respond at a variable rate that matches each different type of bump or hit, giving us the best possible feel across a wide range of terrain.
- Big hit enduro fork built for race and lift-assist park performance
- Beefy 38mm Kashima coated stanchions are ready for the biggest hits
- Heavy-hitting redesigned aluminum crown sheds grams and gains stiffness
- Rear bleeder valves allows the release of built-up air pressure
- EVOL air spring increases maximum air volume for better consistency
- GRIP2 damper offers best-in-class ride adjustments
- Floating axle prevents twisting and excess stanchion friction