Cyrano R3 Chameleon Handlebar
Snake, chameleon, and bull are the three animals Fi'zi:k's Spine Concept uses to denote spinal flexibility from most to least flexible. Used initially to design saddles, Fi'zi:k has extended its thinking about how the spine relates to a bicycle's cockpit. The Cyrano is a series of handlebars and components what works in conjunction with saddle choice to create the optimal riding position. The Cyrano R3 Chameleon is for the rider with a medium flexible spine.
Indeed the Cyrano R3 Chameleon is virtually identical to its mate, the R1. The difference is that while the R1 is carbon fiber, the R3 is more economical Aluminum Ergal. Yes, it weighs about 40 grams more than the R1, but for riders who like the security of aluminum weighed against the weight savings of carbon it's ideal.
The reach and drop measurements sound similar to other handlebars. So, what makes this bar ideal for a rider classified as a Chameleon? The shape of the drop. Because a Chameleon's spine is in the middle range of flexibility the bar needs to be shaped so that the farthest point on the drops is reachable without compromising breathing or spine position. The drops of the Cyrano R1 are angled from the brake hood clamp area toward the back at about a 45 degree angle (give or take a few degrees). Rather than having to reach far beneath to bar to grab the drops for a sprint, and banging your forearms in the process, the effective reach is decreased for a secure hold.
The Cyrano R3 Handlebar weighs 245 grams for the 420mm wide bar. The reach is 80mm and the drop ranges from 130mm in the 400mm wide version, to 135mm in the three wider bars. It comes in fours sizes from 400mm to 460mm wide and in the color Matte black.
- Lightweight alloy handlebar with longer reach and moderate drops
- Designed for medium flexibility riders per Fi'zi:k Spine Concept
- Drop shape sits between Cyrano 00 Chameleon and 00 Bull
- Aluminum Ergal for a high strength-to-weight ratio
- Comes in four widths ranging from 400 - 460mm center to center
- Features a long reach and moderate drop for moderately flexible riders
- Get the right bar for your fit without breaking the bank
- Ergonomic shape offers numerous options for hand placement