Reign over the podium on race day.
As a dedicated downhill race tire, the Continental Der Kaiser Projekt 29in Tire provides all the grip, cornering control, and fast-rolling speed to stand atop the podium. Since it's primarily designed as a downhill racing tire, it's not as durable as the standard Der Kaiser 2.5-inch Tire, which is a better option for lift-accessed laps on the weekends and training sessions at the local downhill course. The upside is a lighter weight and faster rolling performance—both of which give you an advantage when every second is absolutely crucial on race day.
This 2.4-inch width tire comes tubeless-ready, so you can reap the benefits of running drastically lower pressures to gain confident traction and heightened composure over rough sections of downhill courses. At only 1000 grams, it's pretty lightweight for a downhill tire, meaning it's best for race day only, as it's lacking the significant reinforcement of burlier options on the market.
Although it's not as burly as many downhill-dedicated tires, it does come with Continental's Protection Apex reinforcement layer, so you'll have extra peace of mind from the race-stopping flats and punctures common on downhill courses. Additionally, you'll find Continental's BlackChili compound, which optimizes grip and lowers rolling resistance to shave precious seconds from your downhill runs. BlackChili is unlike other rubber compounds on the market, which usually emphasize one tire characteristic over the other, only to compromise in riding and racing performance.
- Downhill racing tire that's lightweight and grippy
- All-around tread excels everywhere but wet, muddy conditions
- BlackChili compound lowers rolling resistance, increases grip
- Protection Apex reinforcement from small punctures on race day
- 4 plies of 240 tpi casing makes it lighter than other DH tires
- Tubeless-ready for running lower pressures and self-sealing
- Handmade in Germany with exceptional fit and finish