The downhill racer's choice.
Continental's Der Kaiser Projekt 27.5in Tire provides all the grip you need to dissect formidable rock gardens, lean into corners at high speeds, and maintain control while taking off from jumps and landing gaps on the downhill course. Since it's designed primarily for race day, it's not as durable as the standard Der Kaiser 2.5-inch Tire, which is a better option for lift-accessed laps on the weekends and hard training sessions at the local downhill course.
This 2.4-inch wide tire comes tubeless-ready, so you can reap the benefits of running drastically lower pressures to gain confident traction and heightened composure over rough sections of downhill courses. At only 950 grams, it's pretty lightweight for a downhill tire, meaning it's best used for race day only, seeing it's lacking the significant reinforcement of burlier options on the market.
Although it's not as burly as many downhill-dedicated tires, it does come with Continental's Protection Apex reinforcement, so you'll have extra peace of mind from small punctures and slits while downhill racing. Additionally, you'll find Continental's BlackChili compound, which optimizes grip and lowers rolling resistance to shave precious time off your downhill runs. BlackChili is unlike other rubber compounds on the market, which usually emphasize one tire characteristic over the other, only to lead to a compromise in riding and racing performance.
- Downhill racing tire that's both lightweight and grippy
- All-around tread excels everywhere but wet, muddy conditions
- BlackChili compound lowers rolling resistance, increases grip
- Protection Apex reinforcement from small punctures on race day
- 4 plies of 240 tpi casing makes it lighter than other DH tires
- Tubeless-ready for running lower pressures and self-sealing
- Handmade in Germany with exceptional fit and finish