Item # CST00HH
Castelli Free Tri ITU Suit - Men's $149.95
Suited and booted.
While it may seem excessive to the uninitiated, experienced triathletes will understand why Castelli was compelled to use no fewer than six different materials in the Free Tri ITU Suit's construction. Over the course of a given day, this suit is expected to meet the often-contradictory requirements of three different endurance events. If you were to draw up your own blueprint for an article that can handle this, you'd see that limiting the suit to only a handful of materials is actually a study of restraint.
The standout material of this speedsuit is the Instadry Speed fabric utilized to construct the shorts, which is an early adapter of the hydrophobic materials featured across the tri industry. On the run and bike, it pushes moisture to the surface for quick evaporation, but it really shines in the swim, where it refuses to absorb any water, staying buoyant and reducing drag.
Of course, Castelli began life as a cycling clothing manufacturer, so it's little surprise that the Free Tri ITU Suit has extra goodies for the second leg of your event. Castelli claims that the Velocity material on the back is wind-tunnel tested to actually shave minutes off of a solo bike ride of, say, 112 miles, living up to Castelli's claim that you're "getting an unfair advantage." The aerodynamic gains come courtesy of the ergonomic cut and elastic properties that let it fit like a second skin. While the articulated shoulders are designed primarily to facilitate swim and run motions, they also don't impede your reach to the aero bars.
Instead of the usual three rear pockets, the Free Suit's Free Aero pocket design incorporates two pockets on the hip, eliminating the open-to-the-wind, parachute construction of open-topped rear pockets. The flatlock stitching used throughout and an ITU-compliant rear zipper make for a comfortable fit with an easy, self-sufficient on/off operation courtesy of its lanyard.
The suit's bottom line is the Kiss Tri chamois, which eliminates any excess material for a minimalist chamois that once again straddles the line between events to cover all the tri requirements. It maintains the support you need on the bike while its soft outer layer and minimal bulk all but disappear during the swim and the run. Its low bulk and high ventilation also make it the fastest drying chamois in Castelli's line, so you'll be riding dry by the time you leave T1.
- A UTI-compliant triathlon speedsuit
- Instadry Speed lowers resist water absorption
- Velocity mesh back panel improves aerodynamics
- Rear zipper hides out of the wind
- Chamois balances support on the bike with minimal bulk for the run
- Giro 3 grip bands hold hems securely without pinching
- Unobtrusive hip pocket carry gels and other small nutrition packets
View more Men's Tri Suits
- How to Measure:
- For best results, take measurements over your underwear.
- Measure under your arms, around the fullest part of your chest.
- Measure around your natural waistline, keeping the tape a bit loose.
- Measure around the fullest part of your body at the top of your legs.
- Using pants that fit well, measure the crotch seam to the bottom of the leg.