Timbuk2 Especial Messenger $198.95
Load your Timbuk2 Especial Messenger bag with your laptop, gym clothes, and everything else you need to make it through your day. Thanks to a sturdy TPU liner and bottom panel, even heavy rain won't get to soak through this sling messenger so you can brave even the heaviest downpours with confidence.
- Padded shoulder strap with Timbuk2 Tensionlock is customizable and ambidextrous so you never have to compromise when it comes to fit
- Backbender flexible back panel boosts ventilation so fresh air can get between your bag and your back
- Tough, abrasion-resistant Cordura nylon face fabric teams up with a weatherproof TPU liner and bottom panel to provide durable protection from precipitation
- Magnetic closure provides quick access and reseals the bag in a snap for on-the-go reach-ins
- Padded laptop sleeve cushions your computer during your commute
- Easy-access side pockets with water-resistant zippers hold your need-it-now items
- Reflective bindings on all sides of this bag make you easier to spot when you're riding home after dark
Reviews & Community
tough, waterproof and stylish
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
Fantastic bag, holds up well to Seattle rain. I'll echo similar complaints about the velcro catching on fabric when it doesn't match up perfectly but I suppose that's a fixable problem. The magnetic closures are kinda cool and there's plenty of internal room for just about anything you'd need for a daily commute. For the price point though I think you're paying extra for the brand as there are probably cheaper bags that are just as stylish and durable.
Especial Messenger in Action!
World's Best Commute!
- Gender: Male
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
I love that this bag is very versatile in terms of how it can easily be adjusted to the desired fit of its user. The shoulder strap is highly customizable to allow you to wear the bag on either shoulder and can be adjusted to rest either at an angle or more perpendicular to the floor. In addition to that, the left and right side of the bag has a nice carrying handle. I wish I could say the same about the main carrying handle on the top center, but it isn't, being that it is quite thinner, plain and lacks the extra stitched on reflective material on either side of it.
One gripe I have with the bag is that the areas where you can adjust the shoulder strap have a lot of velcro material. While the velcro helps for the adjustments I mentioned earlier, it creates a problem with certain fabrics like wool getting caught onto the bag. It's not a major issue really but I just happened to be wearing wool on the first two days of owning the bag (coincidentally). In addition to this issue, hearing any noises from the velcro sliding around as I move/adjust the bag can be pretty irritating. I'll learn to just live with that I suppose but might try and purchase some velcro-type material to cover some of the areas (as suggested by Timbuk2).
Comfortable waterproof bag
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
After 2 months of using this bag I can say it was well worth the $. It is comfortable, keeps my laptop dry in the rain, holds plenty of gear, and has bright reflective trim. I use it daily on my motorcycle and bicycle through rain or shine.
Here's the issues I have found:
1) The bottom is rounded so the bag will not sit upright on my desk (not a big issue)
2) This is an expensive bag, after 2 months of daily (but light) use, the reflective material around the edges shows signs of wear everywhere it bends when it's closed. Not an issue but looks like wear points that will tear eventually.
3) The interior zip pocket could use more dividers/pockets for small items
I traded up from my 5 year old Timbuk2 laptop bag, this bag has been my new favorite, I would recommend it.