Thule Apex Swing Away Bike Rack - 4 bike $499.95
Reach your apex of joy when it comes to transporting the steeds.
The Thule Apex Swing Away Bike Rack was already trusted by serious road and mountain bike enthusiasts the world over, and now it sports new designs as well as improved features. Now, not only can you bring three friends, your spouse and two kids, your parents and uncle, or any triple-combo of biking enthusiast along with you, but there's no need to take all of the bikes off to access the cooler that 'someone' forgot to keep within arm's reach.
- Swing-Away design lets you effortlessly move a fully loaded rack out and away from a trunk, tailgate, or hatch door
- Improved Hitch-Switch design allows the bike carrier arms to fold down as well as the entire carrier rack to fold down (when not loaded)
- Thule EasyMount system features a Receiver Lock Knob to quickly engage the rack receiver into the hitch, tighten, and lock it with limited effort and no tools
- Thule Road Dampening Technology (RDT) in the bike frame cradles reduces vibrations
- Soft Touch Anti-Sway Cage features soft thermoplastic (TPE) that gently grips the bike frame to prevent swinging
- Reinforced Cradle Straps are 25% stronger to last longer than in the past
- Arched bike arms disperse weight better and make loading/unloading easier than straight designs
- Integrated handle at the back of the mast makes transport, install/removal easy
- Integrated Locking Cable secures the bikes to the rack
What community has to say
Expected more from Thule
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
We had the old version of this rack and there were a couple things that weren't optimal, but the back of our car was smashed and we had to pry the old rack off in pieces. This rack seemed the most similar but when we got it realized Thule now uses an adapter that fits both 1 1/4 and 2" hitches to cut costs. Installed it and 3 days later the pin broke inside the plastic piece at the base. PLASTIC?! Thule used to use metal. They've made a few small improvements, but overall this is a terrible product from a company who is clearly relying on its name and not quality. Backcountry was cool enough to handle the return.
Thule Apex Swing Away
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
Great experience ordering from BackCountry. I ordered the carrier and it arrived 2 days later. The bike carrier is outstanding. I put it together in about 10 minutes and its very easy to load, secure, and unload all of our bikes quickly.
Is this a rack that I can buy other...
Is this a rack that I can buy other accessories so that in the winter season I can use it as a ski rack?
Unfortunately, that's not how this works. It doesn't really disassemble, so if you want a ski rack you'll need a whole new setup.