I am a MountainTech member at GORE-TEX, and I do some product testing for Gore and Windstopper products. I hadn't known that Gore did cycle wear until I got a chance to try out this jacket. OK, I love this jacket for many reasons.
* It keeps me warm, dry, and comfortable in my chilly, damp, Pacific Northwest rides. Absolutely perfect for this climate. Softshell is thicker than a regular cycling jacket, and the water just beads up on the surface then wicks away.
* On a recent bicycle tour, we had extended wind every day of the ride. The jacket performed like it was supposed to - totally blocked the wind.
* Same trip, sideway-rain squall. Wicked the rain. I did not stay in the rain for an extended period, though, so not sure how long the rain resistance would last in those conditions.
* I especially loved the sleeve length. I have long arms, and this covers down to the tops of my cycling gloves. The fabric is thinner and stretchy at the forearms and wrists, so not overly tight.
* It is attractive. Form-fitting but not too tight.
* When I zipped off the arms I was surprised that it is short-sleeve instead of a vest. It was comfortable, but I'm still undecided how I feel about that feature.
* Don't get white.
One thing I would change:
* The back pocket was a decent size, but it felt too high up on my back and a little deep to reach into it easily. It felt awkward. But overall a really really great jacket - I love it and would definitely recommend it.