Mavic Stratos Under Shorts $84.95
For serious racing, wear under jorts.
Lots of mountain bikers wear baggy shorts, but those that don't generally cite temperature as a reason to avoid them in hot weather. Sure, we'll never argue that nylon baggies are as cool as thin layer of sheer lycra, but we will take a stand and say that the social aspect of mountain biking begs for more casual attire. That's where baggy shorts come into play. Mavic understands the temperature problem, and that's why they offer these Stratos Under Shorts.
They're designed for strict use under baggy shell shorts, like their Stratos Shorts. And used as directed, they're the coolest liner shorts you'll ever wear. Most folks wouldn't think of wearing them alone, and they shouldn't be. Let's just say that your secrets will be hard to keep if you wear them at the trailhead without your baggies over the top.
But this is the secret to their coolness -- the open mesh weave of the knit on the side panels. Actually, there aren't panels. Mavic knits the shorts in one piece, but the knit is variable and shifts from the aforementioned mesh, to a rib knit in the crotch and at the lower back, and then to a denser knit above the chamois in back and inside the legs where support is valued over ventilation. All this means that they are supremely comfortable and super lightweight. The waistband is a simple affair, made of heavy 1" elastic, and the leg cuffs are simply the rib knit fabric, doubled over and flat stitched so they won't irritate your thighs when you ride.
Not to be outdone by their full-fledged lycra cycling shorts, the Stratos Under Shorts include Mavic's Ergo 3D Pro chamois. It has a variable thickness, from 6mm under the sitbones to 2mm at the periphery. A channel down the middle helps to accommodate sensitive body parts, and multi-density foam tailors the amount of cushion. The whole thing is covered with an anti-microbial fabric, and it stretches to conform perfectly to your body shape. This helps it stay put so you can concentrate on the riding.
Mavic Stratos Under Shorts are Black and are available in five sizes from Small to XX-Large. Please Note: Don't be alarmed if the shorts look quite small when you pull them from their package. The knit fabric has incredible stretchiness. We've found the sizing to be accurate.
- Ergo 3D Pro insert with full 3 dimensional, multi-density construction for comfortable, natural fit
- Ergo 3D Pro insert is highly breathable and anti-microbial for comfort and odor control
- Seamless construction for reduced chafing and irritation
- Wicking fabric keeps you dry and comfortable
|Chest||32.7 - 34.3in
|34.6 - 36.2in
|36.6 - 37.8in
|38.6 - 40.2in|
|40.6 - 42.5in|
|42.9 - 44.9in|
|45.3 - 47.2in|
|Waist||28.0 - 29.5in
|29.9 - 31.5in
|31.9 - 33.1in
|33.5 - 35.4in|
|35.8 - 37.8in|
|38.2 - 40.2in|
|40.6 - 42.5in|
|Hip||33.5 - 35.0in
|35.4 - 37.0in
|37.4 - 38.6in
|39.0 - 40.9in|
|41.3 - 43.3in|
|43.7 - 45.7in|
|46.1 - 48.0in|
- How to Measure:
- For best results, take measurements over your underwear.
- Measure under your arms, around the fullest part of your chest.
- Natural Waist:
- Measure around your natural waistline, keeping the tape a bit loose.
- Measure around the fullest part of your body at the top of your legs.
- Using pants that fit well, measure the crotch seam to the bottom of the leg.
- Measure from the center of your back to your wrist with arms held out.
Reviews & Community
- Familiarity: I've used it once or twice and have initial impressions
The idea of having inner shorts which have holes in them for breathability makes perfect sense. How did this not become the norm? Heed the warnings of not wearing them on their own though ;-)