Garmin Forerunner 620 $399.99
Run smarter, go faster.
The Garmin Forerunner 620 is an innovative, run-tracking GPS watch designed to enhance running and training performance. Distance and pace are measured through the watch's GPS, which is also capable of sharing location data when synced with the Garmin LiveTrack application (sold separately). This GPS watch wirelessly pairs with the Garmin HRM Run Monitor (sold separately), allowing for heart rate monitoring and a whole host of other performance-measuring statistics derived from heart rate measurement. Cadence, vertical oscillation, and ground contact time are all measured through the separate HRM Run Monitor. The internal accelerometer tracks distance when running indoors, eliminating the need for a separate foot pod.
Ever wonder just how fit you are in comparison to peers of the same age? Using an algorithm which crunches running speed, bpm, and heart rate variability, the 620 estimates your VO2 max. After estimating this key statistic, the 620 compares your VO2 max to those of similar age through its colored gauge. The 620 will even predict race times for several distances based on your VO2 max. This is key when training for marathons and other long duration running events, and it allows you to push physical limits every time you train—until you reach the desired VO2 max and subsequent race time you're shooting for.
Allowing you to implement a proper training schedule, the 620 learns your personal physiology based on heart rate data, and it factors this against your last workout, displaying how much time before you're fully recovered and ready for the next run. After you've completed a run, recovery time shows up, informing you of the proper resting duration before your next big workout. Color-coded gauges are easy to understand and read, as green is go and red means rest or engage in light recovery exercise.
Storing and sharing all of this data, the 620 works in harmony with Wi-Fi hotspots and the Garmin Connect application (free download online) to automatically sync when in range. Garmin Connect uploads all of your activity data, shares social updates, and also provides free workout plans. Additionally, the 620 wirelessly syncs with smartphones (currently iPhone app only) that have the Garmin Connect mobile application (free download via Apple App store). Live tracking is available when you pair your iPhone with compatible LiveTrack application (subscription sold separately). This allows your friends and family to track your running stats in real-time, and it shows your route on a street or satellite map so others can retrace your run.
- Touchscreen GPS running watch with high-resolution color display
- Tracks distance, pace, and heart rate with Garmin HRM Run Monitor (not included)
- Measures cadence, vertical oscillation, and ground contact time (with HRM)
- Estimates V02 max and predicts race times for several distances (with HRM)
- Uses heart rate data to give recovery time with color-coded gauge (with HRM)
- Watch functions include time, date, and alarm
- Wirelessly syncs via Wi-Fi to Garmin Connect (free download online)
- Syncs with Garmin Connect Mobile application (only compatible with iPhone 4S +)
- Works with LiveTrack (paid subscription) to track run stats in real-time
- Includes: charging data cradle, manual, and Forerunner 620 GPS watch
- Water-resistant to 165ft (50m)